Hudsonville Products designs a better cherry tank
September 5, 2014
A pair of Hudsonville business owners has developed a better cherry tank for the growers to use at harvest time and have filed for a patent on their design. Ben Dozeman and Dave Levitt, owners of Hudsonville Products, have already sold about 500 of the new tanks; their goal is to sell 1,000 this year — “then we want to grow it from there,” said Dozeman.
2014 Proos Awards:
- Goodwill Industries of Greater Grand Rapids Talent Partner of the Year: Granted to a company that consistently uses Goodwill as a preferred resource for finding new hires, as well as volunteers its own employees’ time to enhance the services that Goodwill provides, it will truly be an honor for Proos to receive this award on September 22, 2014.
- February 5, 2014 – We’re honored to announce that Proos Manufacturing received the “Celebration of Innovation: Automotive Supplier of the Year” award at the Michigan International Auto Show. This award recognizes a West Michigan auto supplier for ingenuity associated with a product or technique and highlights creative designs that improve quality, safety, or performance in the international automotive industry. Companies throughout Kent, Ottawa, Ionia, Allegan and Muskegon counties were nominated and the winner was chosen by a selection committee from the Grand Rapids New Car Dealers Association.
2013 Proos Awards:
- Amy Proos: Winner of Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award in Michigan and Northwest Ohio
2012 Proos Awards:
- Goodwill Power of Work: Small Employer of the Year Award
- Michigan 50 Companies to Watch
- Small Business Administration: Urban Entrepreneurship Award
2011 Proos Awards
- Small Business Administration: Family Owned Business of the Year
- Michigan Small Business & Technology Development Center: Small Business of the Year, Region 7
- Amy Proos (Engelsman): Enterprising Women of the Year Award
>> Download Enterprising Women Winners List
>> Download Enterprising Women of the Year Award Press Release
December 2011: Proos Fabrication Opens its Doors
December 1, 2011
Proos Manufacturing has moved their sheet metal fabrication operations to a new 40,000 square foot building and opened sister company, Proos Fabrication. All metal stamping work will continue to be handled at Proos Manufacturing, while fabrication work will now be managed at Proos Fabrication. The separate facilities allow each company to focus on its core competencies and handle their growing business with ample space and increased staff. Based in Grand Rapids since its inception in 1919, Proos has become a leading provider of manufacturing and engineering solutions for the automotive, industrial, furniture, medical, defense and energy application industries.
Proos honored in Lansing at Michigan Celebrates Small Business event
April 28, 2011
GRAND RAPIDS – Proos Manufacturing, a Grand Rapids metal manufacturing company started by Neil Proos back in 1916 and now owned and managed by his granddaughter, will be among 60 companies honored at the Michigan Celebrates Small Business event in Lansing April 28.
Proos recently received one of the state’s Best Small Business awards from the MI-SBTDC and is also among the 2011 Michigan 50 Companies to Watch, as well as recipient of the 2011 Family-Owned Business of the Year award from the Small Business Administration.
2011 Enterprising Women of the Year Award
January 11, 2011
Our own Amy Proos (previously Engelsman) was named a winner of the 2011 Enterprising Women of the Year Award. Per Enterprising Women magazine, an unprecedented number of nominees were received from around the world. The magazine’s editorial team narrowed the field to a group of semi-finalists, while members of the magazine’s prestigious Advisory Board assisted in the final screening process to select the winners.
Light at The End of The Tunnel – Small business still turns to Washington for expert guidance
September 15, 2010
Small business owner Amy Engelsman was a college junior when she decided she wanted to own a business. Not just any business, but Proos Manufacturing in particular.
Proos has been in business in Grand Rapids, MI, since 1919. Engelsman’s grandfather, Neal Proos, started out manufacturing casket hardware. It wasn’t long before he expanded the business to become a complete tool and die shop. His son Jack took over the business in 1984. In 2004 Engelsman began buying the company from her father and completed the acquisition this year, with some business 101 consultation from the U.S. Small Business Administration.
Third Generation Ownership is Complete with Purchase
September 30, 2010
Amy Engelsman (nee Proos) bought the operations side of Proos Manufacturing in 2004 and began investing in equipment and more employees. In 2009, she began the process of acquiring the company real estate and equipment. A loan from Fifth Third Bank was finally approved earlier this year, and Engelsman signed papers in June making her the sole owner of Proos Manufacturing.
How federal agency sparked Grand Rapids manufacturer’s turnaround
September 15, 2010
GRAND RAPIDS — The damage of the recent recession did not surface right away at Proos Manufacturing Inc.
While other manufacturers suffered, the 90-year-old metal stamping plant at 1037 Michigan St. NE was chugging along fine, owner Amy Engelsman told dozens of clients, employees and others gathered at her shop Tuesday…
Small Business Bill support welcomed by Grand Rapids firm
September 15, 2010
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) – Proos Manufacturing has been a fixture in Grand Rapids for 90 years. It’s hoping to have a strong future. If it does, it can thank programs to help support small businesses set up by the state and federal governments.
“About 80 percent of the companies are small businesses and we are the backbone of this community,” said Proos CEO Amy Engelsman.